Because the struggle enters its 453rd day, we check out the principle developments.
Right here is the state of affairs because it stands on Monday, Might 22, 2023.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has clarified earlier feedback on the state of affairs in Bakhmut, saying that it was “not occupied” by Russia “as of at the moment”. Earlier, he informed reporters that there was “nothing left” of the japanese metropolis and that the Russians had “destroyed all the things“.
- Russia has claimed to have totally captured Ukraine’s Bakhmut, with President Putin congratulating his troops and the mercenary Wagner Group for taking the largely-ruined japanese metropolis.
Colonel Normal Oleksandr Syrsky, the commander of Ukraine’s floor forces, has stated Ukrainian troops had been approaching a “tactical encirclement’ of Bakhmut,” based on the Kyiv Impartial. The commander earlier visited the entrance line.
- A Russian-installed official in Ukraine’s southern Zaporizhia area has stated Kyiv struck the Russian-occupied port metropolis of Berdyansk with UK-supplied Storm Shadow cruise missiles. Kyiv stated it had hit a Russian headquarters there however didn’t say what weapons it used.
- President Zelenskyy has in contrast the “complete destruction” of the Ukrainian metropolis of Bakhmut with the World Conflict II devastation of Hiroshima after it was hit by a US atomic bomb.
- The White Home has stated it estimated Russia’s military had suffered 100,000 casualties within the final 5 months — together with the deaths of 20,000 Russian troopers.
- The three-day G7 summit has wrapped up in Japan, with leaders pledging extra assist for Ukraine following Russia’s February 2022 full-scale invasion. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy took half within the summit in particular person.
- The G7 assembly has resulted in “unwavering unity” in supporting Ukraine to fend off Russian struggle, and Zelenskyy’s presence has despatched “a powerful message” to the world, Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida stated after the three-day summit.
- Tens of hundreds of Moldovans have rallied within the capital Chisinau to assist their pro-Western authorities’s drive in the direction of Europe amid what officers have stated are Russian efforts to destabilise their nation.
- Canada will assist Ukraine for as lengthy and as a lot as obligatory in its battle with Russia, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has stated on the G7 summit.
- United States President Joe Biden has confirmed a brand new navy support bundle price $375m for Ukraine, saying the US would offer ammunition, artillery, armoured autos and coaching. The brand new pledge got here days after Washington agreed to permit coaching on US-made F-16 fighter jets, laying the groundwork for his or her eventual switch to Ukraine.